Monday, June 1, 2009

Day #21,349

Walk (km 2128-2138): Robson/Denman/sea walk/Quebec/Pender/Taylor/Keefer/Dunsmuir/Hamilton/Robson

Millenium Gate
aprox km2136 Pender near Taylor

Book #248: The Stone Angel(1964, Margaret Laurence)

After a slow start, I got around to reading my first Margaret Laurence in 2007 and another 2008. They were both excellent but this one is in a whole nother league. There can only be a handful of books this good.
In reading about this one I see that it was required reading in some Canadian high schools but organized religion got it banned from a few. The reason why it was banned was ridiculous ("blasphemy") but I can see how some high schoolers might be too young to understand this book. Younger readers may not understand it and older readers may find it too frightening but it should be required reading for the middle aged.

Movie #1019: Masculin Feminin(1966, Jean-Luc Godard)

The usual goofy Godard. Star of the movie is pop singer Chantal Goya. Marlene Jobert also stars but I didn't even recognize her (it's been so long since I've seen her in a movie). Interesting interviews with Chantal from both 1966 and 2005 included. And you know who Chantal reminds me of? Annette Obrestad.... the same facial mannerisms.

No comments:

Post a Comment