Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day #21,780

Walk km 5262-5266: to Safeway via Coal Harbour

Movie #1347 (#163 this year): Bachelor In Paradise (1961, Jack Arnold)

Well, I didn't realize how popular potato peeling scenes are in the cinema. This is two in a row. And to think they're popular in both Belgian art films and Hollywood fluff.
I enjoyed watching this movie even though I know it's a load of crap. You see, when I was a kid I'd go to the movies and this is what I would see there. Now, of course, I can see how all the jokes and gags are forced and not really funny at all. Darn nostalgia: I'm against it but not immune from it.
Watch the trailer.

Movie #1348 (#164 this year): Where There's Life (1947, Sidney Lanfield)

Another bit of fluff starring Bob Hope. This one was funnier than Bachelor In Paradise with a fair amount of witty dialogue well delivered by Hope.... but no potato peeling scene.

Book #305 (#28 this year): Big Bear (2008, Rudy Wiebe)

I'm usually more interested in other people's history than my own. So for a change I read this biography in the "Extraordinary Canadians" series. Big Bear was a Cree chief in the 19th century. The Cree did not have a written language so the author is under quite a handicap here. I have no idea how accurate this is but I enjoyed the story. At least I know a little bit more about Canadian history now. Maybe I'll try a few more titles in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment