Friday, May 22, 2009

Day #21,339

Today' Walk: Burrard/Pender/Hamilton/Robson/Richards/Smithe/Howe/Helmcken/Davie/Bute/Thurlow
Today's Walk #2: Thurlow/Barclay
/Nicola/Coal Harbour Quay/Cardero/Comox/Nicola/Beach/Broughton/Davie/Thurlow/Haro

Westin Hotel
aprox km2050 Coal Harbour Quay & Broughton

Today's Movie: Road House(1948, Jean Negulesco)

I was just passing by the VHS tapes on my way out of the library. My eye was caught my a box that said "Ida Lupino Richard Widmark". That brought me to a stop. What's this? "Road House"? I've never heard of that one before - but with that cast, I'll give it a try.
And I wasn't sorry. This was a doozie. The first half is best with Ida playing the femme fatale to the hilt. In the second half Ida falls in love and loses her edge but Richard Widmark goes stark raving crazy (as usual for him) and he's a delight to watch as well. It's just that by the second half of the movie the plot has stopped holding water. But it's goofy all the way through. Dave says check it out.

Today's Tune: Hey Good Lookin'
Once again I dip into the Hank Williams songbook of 1951. This will be the battle of the guy/gal duets with Tennesee Ernie Ford and Helen O'Connell taking on Frankie Laine & Jo Stafford. The Replacements play at 7th Avenue Entry on the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment