Friday, November 5, 2010

Day #21,505

Movie #1468 (#255 this year): Twentieth Century(1934, Howard Hawks)

Maybe I'm watching too many movies. This one is supposed to be one of the all-time greats. Hawks directs, Hecht scribbles and Barrymore acts. It was OK. John Barrymore gets an opportunity to make a real ham of himself and he doesn't disappoint.
Quite pleasant with a few chuckles but nothing more.

Book #338 (#39 this year): The Peep Diaries(2009, Hal Niedzviecki)

A book about "peep culture". This is the replacement of fiction with "real life" as entertainment. It includes being entertained by reality TV, internet blogging, surveillance cameras etc rather than the traditional novels and movies.
There's two parts here: info and editorializing. The info was fun but the conclusions drawn were of little interest because I doubt that too many of them were accurate.
I don't watch reality TV so that part was informative. Surveillance info was good - now I know why I see so many Westjet ads when I'm on the internet. His experiment with Facebook "friends" was revealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment